Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hudson River to NYC

The 12th, we anchored for the night by another park with a SANDY beach in Half Moon Bay. Then to get diesel, water and a couple loads of laundry done we stayed at Haverstraw marina on the 13th. It was pricey by Michigan standards and the dock was covered with duck poop! Management did not seem to care. Dale washed the dock before we let Ollie off. Oliver was happy there as he met two labs, a chocolate and yellow.  From there we made our way down the Hudson to Manhattan. We stayed on a mooring ball at West 79th Street marina with winds whipping down the Hudson River and the tides and currents pulling on us. We spent 2 days there, then continued on to Staten Island the 16th. Storms were predicted and we wanted to get to a safe harbor and get our anchor set. So as of today, the 19th, we are still anchored in Great Kill Harbor. We survived the storms of 25 knots sustained winds and gusts predicted to be 50. Oliver was a trooper. We got him off in the morning and then at 9:30 at night after the storms were past and the winds were 22 kts.

The section of the Hudson from Newburgh to Haverstraw is the most beautiful place. You feel like you are taken back in time cruising the fjords. Here are the sights from September 13th.
Culinary Institute of America

1871 lighthouse

Bannerman Castle on Propelel Island

Storm Mountain, environmental movement started here

West Point, roof says Beat Air Force (rivals, you think)

West Point

West Point

Funky sailing vessel we passed

Yonkers, getting close

Coming up on Manhattan

Manhattan

View from our Mooring Ball
We took Oliver on a walk to Central Park. He was quite the attraction. The so called unfriendly New Yorkers were all petting him and talking to us. Many took his picture. Being a small town girl, I was so ga-ga over everything, I did not get pictures of him. These are some shots I took as we roamed Manhattan. At the end of the day, I went in a typical grocery store you see on TV with the fruit stand in front. It was an experience I will not forget, tons of people, cubbyholes with specialty items and aisles only one cart could fit down. I could not find half the items I buy back home. I came out of there looking like I had been in a marathon. Crowds and more crowds was the theme of the day. It was cool to see all the different cultures and languages being spoken.

Flower boxes, you can't see, but I remember

Church at broadway and 79th st.

Central Park marionette


Big buildings everywhere, we were overwhelmed

Museum park

view down Broadway.
More pictures of us leaving Manhattan in the next edition. Love to all from Dale and me. Miss singing, but I am getting some knitting done as I sit waiting for our weather window to go down the Jersey coast.

1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing adventure, and to think you got there by water! I eagerly await the next installment, and I will show this to Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete